The First Pass was the 50-odd year period of Threadfall which commenced on the eighth turn following the colonisation of Pern. Unlike subsequent passes, the First Pass struck an unprepared colony with no centralised authorities for dealing with the crisis. As a direct result of this disaster, the geneticist Kitti Ping Yung bio-engineered fire lizards into dragons for the planet's defense.
- First Crossing
- Building of Landing
- Exploring of all of Pern via sled and sea
- Creation of the first settlements (stakes)
The First Fall caught the colonists completely unawares when it hit Landing and the area around it. Fortunately, many lives were saved by the intervention of the fire lizards, who revealed a previously unknown ability to breath fire. Fortunately, the plastic roofs of the houses were enough to deter Thread, though some stakes with housing made from pressed fibers or timber-roofed buildings were not so lucky.
- Centralisation of the colonists, via meeting
- Bio-engineering of the dragons for Pern's defense
- Second Crossing into a number of Major Holds on the Northern Continent
- Fort Weyr established, 20 years after Threadfall, Benden Weyr, and others
- Loss of communication with the dolphins
|This article is a stub. You can help Pern Wiki by expanding it.